How To Get Your First Ham License





How do I get a ham radio license?

There are 3 levels of ham radio licenses. You have to start by becoming a Technician by passing the exam for that class.

1) Study for the Technician exam. You can do this on your own or take a class.
Find a class.
Get study materials.
2) Get an FCC issued FRN at the Universal Licensing System (ULS). You will need the FRN at the time of the exam.
— ULS site.
3) When ready find an exam session and take the test, if you studied on your own. If you took a formal class a test is usually offered at the end.


Our club offers exams for all levels on the 4th Friday of each month at the Holyoke Hospital Auxiliary Conference Room.  Walk-ins are welcome. (Due to Covid-19 related constraints, we will not be offering in person exams until further notice.)

Taking the Technician test with us will get you a HCRA starter booklet for new hams.

—  Find more information about our exam time, etc.

Find other exam session near you.

If you want more information please use the form below to send us a note of interest.
Thank you and we wish you success in this rewarding hobby.


    I am interested in finding more information on how to get a HAM radio license, please contact me.

    * Your Name:

    * Your Phone with Area Code (required):

    * Your Email (required):


    Please prove you are human by selecting the heart.