Do you know both boys and girls can become ham radio operators? You can become a ham radio operator at any age! You have to study and then take a test to get your license to operate. There are hams that got their Extra license by age 12!
- Participate in Fox Hunts (almost like a scavenger hunt but using ham radios.)
- You can learn Morse code, we call it CW.
- You can download pictures sent from the International Space Station
- Chat with other young ham radio operators from other parts of the USA and sometimes the world, even if you do not have a cell phone or Internet service.
- Talk using space satellites
- Participate in Youth nets (A net is like a social media chat site, but using ham radio to chat.)
- and many more things!
Youth participating in one of our Field Days.
Here is an example of a picture received on Earth, in Massachusetts, from a transmission done by the International Space Station from space. The other photo is of a certificate issued to the person that received the picture.